Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Girls' Baptism Birthday and Reflection

Today is the girls' second baptism birthday.  In the last year and a half my husband and I have been attending a Lutheran church.  This change has been a struggle for me in many ways because I grew up in a Baptist church.  Although my big turn around was realizing that, for the most part, the way I grew up and what I am learning now are two completely different points of view in many different ways.  Take baptism for example.  I grew up with the view point that you are baptized with full immersion after accepting the lord as your Savior, because it is what the Bible tells you to do.  It is a symbol of being buried in Christ and born again a new creation.  I also grew up with the point of view that baptizing infants was completely ridiculous because they cannot "repent and be baptized" as in Acts 2:38. Oh, and how dare they only sprinkle them!  When I married my hubby we would visit this topic about once a year for a week and then agree to disagree.  However, when we were pregnant with the girls, we had to actually make a decision on how to handle this for our household.  It took me a year of research and study to realize I couldn't find anything in the scriptures to say that baptizing my babies would send them to hell.  Baptizing them was also really important to my husband and being head of the household, he got the last say anyway.  So, I told him we better schedule it before they turned one and were no longer infants. :)  So, on March 27, 2010 our girls were baptized into Christ at Bethel Lutheran Home.  However, my interest in the subject has not waned.  The big turning point for me was when I read (sorry, I really don't remember where) that by saying He was not capable of giving a helpless infant belief we were doubting God's power.  This is where I really started to understand that it was a complete change of perspective.  To a Lutheran, we are all completely depraved and helpless like an infant.  The fact that God gives any of us belief is as unconprehensible as giving an infant belief.  We are the ones who put worth on our knowledge and age.  To tell you the truth I am still trying to balance the way I grew up with my new found information.  But I have to say, I think the Lutherans have a point.  Who am I to say I can understand God's will any better than my girls can understand mine at times.  I mean really, they think they are big girls too.  However, they still don't understand why I say no to a snack when they are hungry, even though I know it is because dinner is in 20 minutes.  I really don't know where I fit anymore, I think I am somewhere between a Baptist and a Lutheran.  However, I gotta say I really like the reasoning behind sprinkling.  Because how much do you really need for baptism to count? :)  Happy baptism birthday girls!

4 comments:

  1. I too was raised Baptist.

    You make an excellent point that Baptist should really think hard about:

    We are all as helpless as infants when it comes to salvation. Due to our helplessness, God has to bring salvation to us! We don't come to him to make a free-will decision to "accept" Christ. There is no where in the Bible that uses that language.

    Gary
    www.LutherWasNotBornAgain.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the article. We're going through a similar process ourselves, although my husband is the one who is still sort of stuck inbetween Baptist and Lutheran, while I have fully crossed over:). Thanks again,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really glad I'm not the only one who feels stuck in between their childhood denomination and feeling more "Lutheran". Thank you!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, didn't know you had a blog. Congratulations. You've zeroed right in on one of the most important points, that none of use has any capacity, so there is not very much difference between the capacity of a child and the capacity of an adult. The Bible says, we were dead in trespasses and sins. Dead people don't have a lot of capacity. It says we were slaves to sin. Slaves don't have a lot of capacity. Thankfully, Christ comes all the way to us, and does not make us crawl the last inch.

    ReplyDelete